Eva M. Sierminska is a Research Fellow and head of the Graduate Studies Program at the Luxembourg Institute of Socio-Economic Research (LISER, formerly CEPS/INSTEAD). She received her PhD in Economics from Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, MD. She worked at the Bureau of Labor Statistics, Georgetown University and Luxembourg Income Study, where she coordinated building an international wealth data-base (LWS) that served as a building block in international wealth comparison research. She has been a visiting researcher at the San Francisco Federal Reserve Board, DIW Berlin, IZA and INED in Paris. She is a member of the ECB run Household Finance and Consumption Network (HFCN) and the OECD Expert Group on micro statistics on household, income, consumption and wealth.
Her current research interests include a broad range of topics in labor and population economics. She has published papers on cross-country and demographic differences in wealth portfolios, income and wealth distribution, measurement of inequality and well-being and methodological issues in cross-country wealth analysis, as well as employment and job market flows. She has also worked on labor force participation and welfare recipiency of the elderly and immigrants, and the differential effect of social benefits in an international context. Her recent studies concern differential wealth trajectories and the effect of wealth, risk and other personality traits on labor market outcomes.
BOVER Olympia, CASADO Jose Maria, COSTA Sonia, DU CAJU Philip, McCARTHY Yvonne, SIERMINSKA Eva, TZAMOURANI Panagiota, VILLANUEVA Ernesto, ZAVADIL Tibor. The distribution of debt across euro-area countries: The role of individual characteristics, institutions and credit conditions. International Journal of Central Banking, 2016, vol. 12, n°2, pp. 71-128.
- SIERMINSKA Eva, GRABKA Markus, MARCUS Jan. Wealth distribution within couples. Review of Economics of the Household, 2015, vol. 13, n°3, pp. 459–486.
- DOORLEY Karina, SIERMINSKA Eva. Myth or fact? The beauty premium across the wage distribution in Germany. Economics Letters, 2015, vol. 129, pp. 29-34. SIERMINSKA Eva. Does it pay to be beautiful? Physically attractive people can earn more, particularly in customer facing jobs, and the rewards for men are higher than for women. IZA World of Labor, 2015 (First online: 17 June 2015).
- JANTTI Markus, SIERMINSKA Eva, VAN KERM Philippe. Modeling the Joint Distribution of Income and Wealth. Research on Economic Inequality, 2015, vol 23, pp. 301-327.
- DOORLEY Karina, SIERMINSKA Eva. Cross-national differences in wealth portfolios at the intensive margin: is there a role for policy? Research on Economic Inequality, 2014, vol. 22, pp. 43-85.
- SIERMINSKA Eva, TAKHTAMANOVA Yelena. Financial and housing wealth and consumption spending: cross country and age group comparisons. Housing Studies, 2012, vol. 27, n°5, pp. 685-719.
- SIERMINSKA Eva, TAKHTAMANOVA Yelena. Job Flows, Demographics and the Great Recession. Research in Labor Economics, 2011, n°32, pp. 115-154.
- SIERMINSKA Eva, FRICK Joachim, GRABKA Markus. Examining the gender wealth gap. Oxford Economic Papers, 2010, vol. 62, n°4, pp. 669-690.
- SIERMINSKA Eva, GORNICK Janet, SMEEDING Timothy. The Income and Wealth Packages of Older Women in Cross-National Perspective. The Journal of Gerontology: Social Sciences, 2009, Vol.64B, n°3, pp. 402-414.
- SIERMINSKA Eva, OLDFIELD Zoe. Differences in the measurement and structure of wealth using alternative data sources: the case of the UK. Journal of Financial Transformation, 2009, vol.26, pp. 42-50.
- SIERMINSKA Eva. TAKHTAMANOVA Yelena. Gender differences in the effect of monetary policy on employment: the case of nine OECD countries. Feminist Economics, 2009, Vol.15, n°3, pp.1-31.
- GORNICK Janet C., MUNZI Teresa, SIERMINSKA Eva and SMEEDING Timothy M. Income, Assets, and Poverty: Older Women in Comparative Perspective. Journal of Women, Politics & Policy, 2009, Vol. 30, n°2, pp. 272-300.
- SIERMINSKA Eva, BRANDOLINI Andrea, SMEEDING Tim. The Luxembourg Wealth Study – A Cross-Country Database for Household Wealth Research. Journal of Economic Inequality, december 2006, vol. 4, n°3, pp. 375-383.
ROSSI Maria Cristina, SIERMINSKA Eva. Wealth and Homeownership: Women, Men and Families. Palgrave Macmillan, 2018, 122 p.
SIERMINSKA Eva. The 'wealth-being' of single-parents. In: Rense Nieuwenhuis and Laurie Maldonado (Eds.) The triple bind of single-parent families: Resources, employment and policies to improve wellbeing. Policy Press, 2018, pp. 51-80.
- SIERMINSKA Eva, LIU Xing (Michelle). Beauty and the Labor Market. In: WRIGHT James D. International Encyclopedia of the Social & Behavioral Sciences. Second edition. Elsevier, 2015, pp. 383-391.
- FUSCO Alessio, VAN KERM Philippe, ALIEVA Aigul, BELLANI Luna, ROBERT Fanny, GUIO Anne-Catherine, KYZYMA Iryna, LEDUC Kristell, LIEGEOIS Philippe, PI ALPERIN Maria Noel, REINSTADLER Anne, SIERMINSKA Eva, SOLOGON Denisa, THILL Patrick, VALENTOVA Marie, VOICU Bogdan. Luxembourg : has inequality grown enough to matter ? In: NOLAN B., SALVERDA W., CHECCHI D., MARX I., McKNIGHT A., TOTH I., VAN DE WERFHORST W. (Eds.) Changing Inequalities and Societal Impacts in Rich Countries: Thirty Countries Experiences. Oxford University Press, 2014, pp. 437-458.
- JANTTI Markus, SIERMINSKA Eva, VAN KERM Philippe. The Joint Distribution of Income and Wealth. In: GORNICK Janet, JANTTI Markus. Income Inequality: Economic Disparities and the Middle Class in Affluent Countries. Stanford University Press, 2013, pp. 312-333.
- SIERMINSKA Eva, SMEEDING Timothy, ALLEGREZZA Serge. The Distribution of Assets and Debt. In: GORNICK Janet, JANTTI Markus. Income Inequality: Economic Disparities and the Middle Class in Affluent Countries. Stanford University Press, 2013, pp. 285-311.
- TAKHTAMANOVA Yelena, SIERMINSKA Eva. Gender, Monetary Policy, and Employment: The Case of Nine OECD Countries. In: BERIK G., ROGERS Y., SEGUINO S. Inequality, Development and Growth. London and New-York: Routledge, 2011, chapter 11.
- SIERMINSKA Eva, JANTTI Markus. Survey Estimates of Wealth Holdings in OECD Countries: Evidence on the level and distribution across selected countries. In: DAVIES James B. Personal Wealth from a Global Perspective. Oxford University Press, 2008, Part I, 2.
- SIERMINSKA Eva, NERI Andrea. The Measurement of Housing Wealth: Conceptual Issues and Practice. Prepared for the LWS Workshop: ”Construction and Usage of Comparable Microdata on Wealth: the LWS” Italy - Perugia, 2005.
- SIERMINSKA Eva, SMEEDING Tim. Measurement Issues in Wealth: Equivalence Scales, Accounting Framework, and Reference Unit. Prepared for the LWS Workshop: "Construction and Usage of Comparable Microdata on Wealth: the LWS”. Italy - Perugia, 2005.
Contributions to Conference Proceedings
SIERMINSKA Eva, BRANDOLINI Andrea, SMEEDING Tim. Comparing wealth distribution across rich countries: the Luxembourg Wealth Study. IFC Bulletin, August 2006, n°25, volume 1 of the Proceedings of the IFC Conference on "Measuring the financial position of the household sector", pp. 297-310.
SIERMINSKA Eva, BICAKOVA Alena. Homeownership Inequality and the Access to Credit Markets (Can Credit Availability Explain Cross-country Differences in the Inequality of Homeownership across Income of Young Households?). In: JONUNG Lars, KONTULAINEN Jarmo. Growth and Income distribution in an integrated Europe: Does EMU make a difference? European Commission: EUROPEAN ECONOMY. ECONOMIC PAPERS, June 2008, n°325, pp.307-349.
- SIERMINSKA Eva, GARNER Thesia. A Comparison of Income, Expenditures and Home Market Value Distributions using the Luxembourg Income Study data from the 1990s. Luxembourg Income Study Working Paper No. 338, 2002. SIERMINSKA Eva, SMEEDING T., GORNICK J., LEACH Maurice. Older Women's Income and Wealth Packages in Cross-National Perspective. Center for Retirement Research at Boston College, 2008, WP 2008-1, 68 p. SIERMINSKA Eva, BICAKOVA Alena. Mortgage Market Maturity and Homeownership Inequality among Young Households: A Five-Country Perspective. DIW Berlin Discussion Paper No. 778, April 2008, 54 p. SIERMINSKA Eva, FRICK Joachim, GRABKA Markus. Examining the Gender Wealth Gap in Germany. Bonn: IZA Discussion Paper No. 3573, June 2008, 47 p. SIERMINSKA Eva, BRANDOLINI Andrea, SMEEDING Tim. Cross National Comparison of Income and Wealth Status in Retirement: First Results from the Luxembourg Wealth Study. Center for Retirement Research at Boston College, 2007, CRR WP 2007-03, 46 p. AND Luxembourg Wealth Study Working Paper No.2, 2006. SIERMINSKA Eva, JANTTI Markus. Survey Estimates of Wealth Holdings in OECD Countries: Evidence on the level and distribution across selected countries. UNU-WIDER Research Paper No. 2007/17, 19 p. SIERMINSKA Eva, TAKHTAMANOVA Yelena. Wealth Effects out of Financial and Housing Wealth: Cross-Country and Age Group Comparisons. Luxembourg Wealth Study, 2006, Working Paper No. 4 AND Federal Reserve Bank, 2007, SF Working Paper Series 2007-01, 40 p. SIERMINSKA Eva, FRICK Joachim, GRABKA Markus. Representative wealth data for Germany: The impact of methodological decisions around imputation and the choice of the aggregation unit. Berlin: DIW, March 2007, Discussion Paper No. 672, 41 p. SIERMINSKA Eva, OLDFIELD Zoe. Differences in the measurement and structure of wealth using alternative data sources: the case of the UK. The Institute for Fiscal Studies, 2007, IFS Working Paper n°11/07, 34 p.
- SIERMINSKA Eva, BICAKOVA Alena. Homeownership Inequality and the Access to Credit Markets (Can Credit Availability Explain Cross-country Differences in the Inequality of Homeownership across Income of Young Households?). Luxembourg Wealth Study Working Paper No.5, 2007. SIERMINSKA Eva, TAKHTAMANOVA Yelena. Disentangling the Wealth Effect: Some International Evidence. FRBSF Economic Letter, 2007, n°02, 4 p.
- SIERMINSKA Eva, GORNICK J., MUNZI T., SMEEDING T. Older Women’s Economic Security: the Four-Legged Stool in Cross-National Perspective. Luxembourg Wealth Study Working Paper No.3, 2006.
- SIERMINSKA Eva. First results from the Luxembourg Wealth Study. Luxembourg Wealth Study Working Paper No.1, 2006.
- SIERMINSKA Eva, GARNER Thesia. Cross-Country Income and Expenditure Distributions using the Luxembourg Income Study. Bureau of Labor Statistics Working Paper No. 380, March 2005.
- SIERMINSKA Eva. Female Income Differentials and Social Benefits: A Four Country Comparison. Luxembourg Income Study Working Paper No. 377, 2004.