AGNIESZKA WALCZAK (PhD in Social Sciences / Survey Methodology, Amsterdam Institute for Social Science Research, University of Amsterdam) is Head of the Data Centre at the Luxembourg Institute of Socio-Economic Research (LISER, formerly CEPS/INSTEAD).
Agnieszka is responsible for the strategic development of the Data Centre. She manages a team of 14 people (survey statisticians, project managers, data managers, coordinators and supervisors of interviewers) and oversees the delivery of large-scale and small-scale surveys in Luxembourg. LISER conducts surveys for Luxembourgish institutions (e.g. STATEC, Central Bank of Luxembourg), Luxembourgish ministries as well as academic surveys within European research consortia and for LISER internal research projects.
Agnieszka has considerable experience in developing and conducting surveys and survey-based research both to inform policy-makers and for academic purposes.
As a Senior Research Manager at Cambridge Assessment (part of the University of Cambridge, UK), Agnieszka led the development of the Cambridge English Global Survey – a global computer-based survey that measures English language ability and attitudes of candidates towards learning, attitudes and practices of teachers and policy-makers. In addition, she managed and conducted survey-based research for international benchmarking and impact assessment projects for Ministries of Education in Europe, Asia and South America. At RAND Corporation (Cambridge office), Agnieszka was involved in various policy evaluation projects for a range of clients from the private and public sector, including European institutions and ministries in EU Member States.
Agnieszka’s areas of interest lie in survey methodology, statistics, public policy and political representation.
Agnieszka is a Board member of the Luxembourg Statistical Society (LSS).
Agnieszka speaks English, French, German, Polish, Dutch and is learning Luxembourgish.
CONTRIBUTIONS TO LUXEMBOURGISH PRESS
"Comment contribuer à la définition de la politique économique et monétaire du Luxembourg?", Letzebuerger Gemengen, January 2018
"Enquêtrice, un métier de coeur encore peu connu", Gemengen.lu, 12th September 2018
"Prendre le pouls de la société luxembourgoise pour élaborer une meilleure politique", Letzebuerger Gemengen, 15.11.2018
IN THE PRESS
Insondables, Le jeudi, 12th July 2018, p. 37
Treffen sich Statistik und Politikwissenschaft, Lëtzebuerger Journal, 12th July 2018, p. 4-5
Alles fliesst ..., Tageblatt, 11th July 2018, p. 8
Les dessous des sondages électoraux, 11th July 2018, Wort.lu
Meenungsëmfroen: Si Sozialreseauen déi nei Sondagen?, 11th July 2018, Rtl.lu
Survey Nonresponse in Luxembourg
Household Finance and Consumption Survey Residents (HFCS R)
Household Finance and Consumption Survey Cross Border Workers (HFCS XB)
- WALCZAK Agnieszka, VAN DER BRUG Wouter. Representation in the European Parliament: Factors Determining the Quality of Representation. European Union Politics, 2013, vol. 14, n°1, pp. 3-22.
- WALCZAK Agnieszka, VAN DER BRUG Wouter. Long- and Short-Term Determinants of Party Preferences: Analysis of Inter-Generational Differences in West and East Central Europe. Electoral Studies, 2012, vol. 31, n°2, pp. 273-284.
- WALCZAK Agnieszka, VAN DER BRUG Wouter. The Electoral Trade-Off: How Issues and Ideology Affect Party Preference Formation in Europe. Journal of Elections, Public Opinion and Parties, 2012, vol. 22, n°3, pp. 245-268.
- WALCZAK Agnieszka, PAPP Szilvia. The development and validation of a computer-based test of English for young learners: Cambridge English Young Learners. In: NIKOLOV M. (Ed). Assessing Young Learners of English: Global and Local Perspectives, Berlin: Springer, 2016, pp. 139-190.
- WALCZAK Agnieszka. Computer-Adaptive Testing. In: Research Notes n°59, Cambridge English Language Assessment, University of Cambridge, 2015, pp. 35-40.
- WALCZAK Agnieszka. Cambridge English Benchmarking in Maltese Schools 2015. Report prepared for the Ministry of Education of Malta, 2016.
- WALCZAK Agnieszka. Factors Affecting English Language Attainment. Cambridge English and Agencia de Calidad de la Educatión. Chile SIMCE Inglés 2014 Research Project. Report prepared for the Ministry of Education in Chile, 2016.
- WALCZAK Agnieszka. Cambridge Baseline 2013. Cambridge English in Malaysian Schools. Report prepared for the Ministry of Education of Malaysia, 2015.
- WALCZAK Agnieszka. Factors Affecting Student Performance in Attaining English Language Competencies in Chile. Report prepared for the Ministry of Education in Chile, 2015.
- WALCZAK Agnieszka, REDING Anaïs, VAN GORP Anke, ROBERTSON Kate and HOORENS Stijn. Managing Ethical Problems in Counterterrorism. An Inventory of Tools for Ethical Decision-Making. RAND Europe report for the Research and Documentation Centre (Wetenschappelijk Onderzoeken Documentatiecentrum, WODC) of the Netherlands Ministry of Safety and Justice (Ministerie van Veiligheid en Justitie), 2014.
- WALCZAK Agnieszka, HOORENS Stijn, GUERIN Benoit, JANTA Barbara, GHEZ Jeremy, DRABBLE Samuel, KOBZAR Svetlana, HORVATH Veronika and SCHWEPPENSTELE Daniel. Global Societal Trends and Their Impact on the EU in 2030. RAND Europe report for Bureau of European Policy Advisers, European Commission, 2013.
- WALCZAK Agnieszka, PENNY Maryse, HELLGREN Tess, BASSFORD Matt. The Evolution of the European Defense Sector. An Assessment of Key Trends and Implications. RAND Europe report for the European Commission, DG Enterprise and Industry, 2013.
- WALCZAK Agnieszka, MUCHOVA Lucia, BASSFORD Matt, CABANILLAS ESTEBANEZ Andrés, MUNOZ PALOS José M. Future Defence Export Markets. Measures to Enhance Competitiveness of EU Defence Industry and Address Barriers to Defence Trade with Third Countries. RAND Europe – ISDEFE report for the European Defence Agency, 2013.