Congratulations! Two LISER researchers receive tenure
Join us in acknowledging Michal Burzynski and Francesco Fallucchi for their career achievement
The Luxembourg Institute of Socio-Economic Research is pleased to announce that Michal Burzynski and Francesco Fallucchi (left to right in photo) were recently awarded tenure. An international panel of experts who cited their numerous successes made the decision unanimously. While both will be tenured researchers in the Labour Market Department, Francesco is attached to the Centre for Behavioural and Experimental Economics within the department.
In their decision, the panel cited among other undertakings, their high-level publications (each listed below) and their contributions in research projects. In the current COVID-19 health crisis both are working on grants received from an FNR COVID-19 Call, they include: ‘Modeling The Macroeconomic And Distributional Effects Of Covid-19 And Restarting Scenarios’ (Michal) and ‘An Experimental Test Of Hospital Admission Guidelines’ (Francesco).
Beyond academic accomplishments, the panel noted their important input towards Societal Impact. Indeed, it is their ability to translate research into policy relevant analysis and recommendations that will help make them leaders in their fields.
Michal Burzynski: Michal’s main research interests include the economics of international migration, quantitative economic theory, international economics and general equilibrium modelling. Publications considered for Michal’s tenure include:
- Aubry, A., Burzynski M., Docquier, F., The Welfare Impact of Global Migration in the OECD Countries, Journal of International Economics, 2016, 101: 1-21. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jinteco.2016.03.005
- Burzynski M., Trading Goods or Human Capital: The Gains and Losses from Economic Integration, The Scandinavian Journal of Economics, 2018, 120: 503–536. https://doi.org/10.1111/sjoe.12230
- Burzynski M., Time, Space and Skills in Designing Migration Policy, Journal of Demographic Economics, 2018, 84: 355-417. https://doi.org/10.1017/dem.2018.5
- Burzynski M., Docquier F., Rapoport H., The changing structure of immigration to the OECD: what welfare effects on member countries?, IMF Economic Review, 2018, 66: 564-601. https://doi.org/10.1057/s41308-018-0059-3
- Biavaschi C., Burzynski M., Elsner B. and Machado J., Taking the Skill Bias out of Global Migration, Journal of Development Economics, 2020, vol. 142. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jdeveco.2018.12.006
- Burzynski M., Deuster Ch., Docquier F., The Geography of Skills and Global Inequality, Journal of Development Economics, 2020, vol. 142. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jdeveco.2019.02.003
Francesco Fallucchi: Over the past years, Francesco started a fruitful research agenda in behavioral and experimental economics with a particular focus on behavioral aspects of competition. He also contributed to the “experimetrics” area to gain new behavioral insights. All his research is based on experiments conducted either in the laboratory or online. Publications considered for Francesco’s tenure include:
- Fallucchi, F., Luccasen, R.A. & Turocy, T.L. Identifying discrete behavioural types: a re-analysis of public goods game contributions by hierarchical clustering. J Econ Sci Assoc 5, 2019, 238–254. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40881-018-0060-7
- Casal, S., Fallucchi, F. Quercia S. The Role of Morals in Three-Player Ultimatum Games. Journal of Economic Psychology, 2019, 70, 67-79. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joep.2018.11.003
- Fallucchi, F., Quercia, S. Affirmative Action and Retaliation in Experimental Contests. Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, 2018, 156, 23-40. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jebo.2018.10.006
- de Quidt, J., Fallucchi, F., Kölle, F. et al. Bonus versus penalty: How robust are the effects of contract framing?. J Econ Sci Assoc, 2017, 3, 174–182. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40881-017-0039-9
- Fallucchi, F., Renner, E., Sefton, M. Information feedback and contest structure in rent-seeking games. European Economic Review, 2013, 64, 223-240. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.euroecorev.2013.09.003